Monday, November 13, 2006

Computer Wars

So my Mom wants to get a new computer. She's not really computer literate, but I think 'point and click' makes it pretty easy for anyone to pick it up....if they want to. I can get deals on certain big name PC's, so I told her to give me her budget and I'd get her what she needs. For her, the prospect of buying a computer is beyond daunting, it's acutally a fraction short of impossible. She still doesn't totally comprehend the idea that all PC's are basically the same, and what you're buying is a brand, or a feeling of comfort, or the idea that you got a better price, or paid more for better Customer Service, or something along those lines.

Stepping back a few weeks, we just upgraded our Ipod mini to a full 30 GB Ipod. How did that happen you ask? What was wrong with the mini? Well, friend, I won't disparage my mini is this post (though there were a few non-size issues), but I will let you know this: if you don't want to spend money on Apple "stuff," then don't walk into the Apple store because you have 30 minutes to kill before your movie starts.

Don't. Just don't do it.

We did.

And we walked out with a brand new, sucka-sweet lil' electronic/video/photo music playing machine. What's this have to do with the computer my mom thinks she wants? Well, if you'd pipe down a second, I'd tell you.

Whilst casually strolling the Apple store, it's just not legitimate to think that you won't tinker with the computers. I mean, iff you're in there, and you're not at least pretending that you know what you're clicking on, then......well, what the 'f' are you doing in there!? And so, I must admit that I do like the 'experience.' Do they run faster or better or have less issues than PC's? I don't know. My PC can run Photoshop, iTunes, Dreamweaver, and Bejeweled all at the same time without a hiccup. But I will admit, I like the way Apples seem to run.

So I'm starting to think that maybe my mom would do well with an iBook. What do you think? Here's how I break down the basic differences, keeping in mind that my mom really only needs to surf the net, send email, and check out her digital photos:

PC advantage: bigger screen, less money
Apple advantage: just really cool looking

So, the pragmatist in me is screaming "how can you go with 'more expensive' because it's really cool looking!!?'" But the materialist in me is calmly negotiating that you only go around once, and it's only slightly more expensive, and who knows, maybe she totally gets into media related fun, and then Apple has the edge of just making that easier. My mom is not about to take the time to learn computers.

Unrelated to my mom and her impending purchase, and shifting the focus back to where is usually should be - on me - I'd have to say (again, just for me) if money weren't an issue, I'd go Apple. Alas, money is an issue, so I go PC and I think my machine works better than fine.

2 comments:

Scott said...

nice analysis (r-dom's favorite word).

but...

Don't forget the "bragging" rights. after the ibook purchase your mom will have a refreshed (not refurbished) sense of cool. when she talks about her iBook and her Apple 'cinema screen', she will be the envy of kids and parents alike!

Anonymous said...

get the mac. maybe she'll get tired of it and give it to us. xoxo