Saturday, January 13, 2007

Rocky II

Saw it last night. I liked it more than Rocky, but I think I still like Rocky III the best. But maybe that's just because of the nostalgia of RIII. I was a young man, just making my way in the world, the next featherweight perhaps? I must've weighed about 75 lbs., 2.7% body fat, a human wrecking ball I'm sure.

But seriously, who can deny the Hulk Hogan's part of this cinematic masterpiece? Thunderlips was what all little boys should aspire to become. Remember when Rock got pissed and picked up Thunderlips and tossed him out of the ring? That was rad.

I think if I actually watched Rocky III again I'd probably change my mind, so I'm just going to leave it alone - ignorance can be blissful. Rocky II on the other hand was a pretty good movie, despite the toned down Paulie. I love hating Paulie and his role in RII was almost non-existent if you omit the part where he offers to knock her teeth out for The Italian Stallion. I need to have more Paulie; I need more self-destructive, alcoholic idiot. When he's at his best, and you're really hating him even though you're just watching a movie, you're suddenly struck with the reality that he's a friggin' moron. It's not done out of malice, it's just Paulie.

No comments: