Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Vacation FastForward for SAB

Day 4: shot a 108 from the white tees at Harding, packed for Yosemite.

Day 5: woke up at 3 a.m. so I could get a jump on the possible Yosemite Valley Memorial Day Weekend traffic. Got a beautiful, and I do mean beau-ti-ful Sunrise Breakfast sandwich from Carls Jr. and a grande drip from Starbucks in Bakersfield, CA. It was 6:15 a.m., and though this may seem strange, I would be dozing off within 45 minutes, so the wife took control of the helm while I snuggled into the navigator's chair from some quality shut-eye.

By around 10 a.m. I was exiting a tunnel in the Sierra Nevadas and saw this (keep in mind I've never been to Yosemite):

So I rattled off 10 pics or so and we jumped back into the car so we could get down into the action. I remember feeling this way the first time I found a Playboy magazine....they get really good writers!

So we started driving on down the hill. We couldn't see Bridalveil falls, but the wife wanted to stop at the next restroom, so we pulled into one, and looked up:


I shot this from where I parked my car. Apparently Yosemite is for the lazy.

Quick Skiletsrage tip: don't go through life unprepared, like I do. In my haste, and excitement, I left my camera's ISO setting to 1600 for the next 300 pictures.

Ran around this spot for 30 minutes, having fun in the enormous mist that is expoding up into the air. Came out drenched, but laughing. If only the rest of my life could go that way: drenched and laughing.

Now we decided that our Yosemite Rookiness must be shed, that we would get back in the car and drive to our destination without spazzing out again. 75 seconds later I parked the car and jumped out like a 6 year old who'd been shooting liquified candy and Coke straight into his veins.

How could I not?



By noon we finally made Curry Village. Did I really just get up in Los Angeles this morning, and see all I had seen by noon? Not sure, I'll write more later....

Almost forgot about the Vacay FF:

Day 5: We hiked Vernal Falls, and attended a rehearsal dinner that evening.
Day 6: Had breakfast at the Awahnee, checked out Yosemite falls briefly, took shots of the Bride getting ready, and attended the wedding.
Day 7: Checked out Yosemite falls more closely, wandered around the the valley like some hippie, got denied from Glacier Point (closed due to traffic), and headed out to San Luis Obispo.
Day 8: Woke up and had breakfast in SLO, at one of my all-time favorite breakfast restaurants. Headed to Santa Ynez for wine-tasting.
Day 9: First day back at work. Joy.

5 comments:

Scott said...

hmm - one of your favorite SLO restaurants? Wonder what that is.

Scott said...

so does that mean the 300 photos you took are out or are they salvagable?

Skiletsrage said...

the photos you see in this post are the from the bad batch. i'll explain later, maybe.

Also, SLO restaurant will be revealed soon....

Scott said...

btw, you're stoked to be in Yosemite at this time of the year when the waters are raging and spring is still in the air!

akacontinues said...

glad you went to Yosemite it is an amazing place,as most of CA is...