Friday, April 21, 2006

PB & J

Can I be honest with you? Possum Butt and Jelly sandwiches just don't sound appetizing to me. They actually sound kind of disgusting and cause my stomach to attempt to defy gravity by escaping the confines of my body via my throat passage. We had a dead possum under out apartment about 2 years ago. Once the rodent died, it was unmistakable, except to my landlord who tried to pretend like she couldn't smell anything. Let's make no mistake about it though: it was f'ing nasty. The smell permeated the entire apartment, and there was no place the smell couldn't find you.

So this guy comes out to investigate. He arrives in a white van, he's wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and an Angels cap. He's got a drawl that I just can't quite place. It's not southern, it was more of an accent that may have been acquired through an exposure to dangerous gas fumes for entirely too long, or something I know not what. Anyhow, great guy. For $100 he crawled under our apartment building in a crawlspace about 24" tall, on top of wet dirt, and through an apparent infestation of fleas. Lucky for him, the possum died on the opposite side of the apartment from the only entrance to the underbelly, so he got the full tour.

So he's down there about 45 minutes and finally comes back out. And you know me, I'm excited.

Me: "Did you get it!!"
Him: "No, it was too big and smelly, so I have to go back in with my pincher tool."
Me: {thinking that I'd want to cry if I were him} "Uh, okay. I'll just wait here."

30 minutes later our hero emerged victoriously with the beast. Unreal. I can't believe what some people do for money.

Flash forward to last Friday, and my landlord leaves me a message on my cell phone asking if I smelled anything funny in the apartment. But I'm in Charlotte, NC, so....no, I don't. Little did I know, the smell was 10x worse upstairs and the girl who lives there, and doesn't really know us, is thinking that Gina has finally had enough of my b.s. and has killed me.

So yesterday another truck pulls up. This time it's a professional company, and there are 2 guys. Both guys actually go back under the apartment and extract yet another dead possum. So here are a couple of pics I took of the smelly animal that died in the nest under my bathtub that had been vacated by a previous dead possum.

One of the guys taking a look:


The trouble maker:


Welcome to possum country....

4 comments:

akacontinues said...

This is your best one yet. Carry on Carrion Maestro!

Anonymous said...

and they say american's won't do certain jobs. this is proof! We are willing to do anything as long as we can make enough to live on.

nice story. and is that fungal matter on the possum's head..

And by thw way, is there a hypothesis for why possums seem to enjoy your building. this isn't exactly the kind of thing you hear about every day.

Skiletsrage said...

no, it's not fungal matter. the worker who fetched this little guy (it was male, i saw it's penis) out said the fur was falling off the corpse as his dragged it out.

Anonymous said...

were you able to look and see what was in the pouch of the dead 'possum?

buried treasure?