Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ken Lay, Enron, and TSGitR

So I finish TSGitR, and what happens next? Ken Lay dies of a reported heart attack. Wow. Spooky, huh?

I'm definitely on the side of all the ex-Enron employees, and then anyone else who experienced loss due to investing in the company, but I do feel bad for Ken (a little). Here is this man who works his whole life, then sets the auto-pilot to 'cruise control' to live out the rest of his days on this Earth as some sort of business legend, with millions of dollars in his pocket. Then he becomes the public face of the second-largest, yet possibly most well-known bankruptcy in history. Then he is indicted and convicted of all kinds of felony crimes. And then he dies of an alleged heart attack. Talk about going out in poor fashion. And from reading the book, I don't think it was intentional. And so I think during the aftermath, and right up until his final moments, I think he must have felt a million times worse than all of my moments of despair and self-loathing put together. I wouldn't consider trading my life for his, even for a split second.

All those guys -- minus Cliff Baxter (who killed himself) -- that will serve time, will someday get out and have all this cash. But what's it all for? If I was Andy or Lea Fastow, I would have trouble making eye contact with anyone ever again.

I found this on his personal website:

Most of all, my family and I believe that God is in control and, indeed, He does work all things for good for those who love the Lord. And we love our Lord.


I guess God decided it was time for Kenny-boy to come home...

1 comment:

Skiletsrage said...

When you're right, you're right James, and this time you've pinned the tail on the donkey. SPOOKY.